Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I'd Rather Have Scabies



Yes, well that's what I told the woman at the pharmacy when she offered me the scabies cream. I mean if I had scabies, I'd be able to cure it within a week wouldn't I? I wish I had scabies or fleas or something that I can see, then I could kill them. Then again, if I could see them and not kill them that would probably be scarier. What kind of scary would I prefer? Hmmm...

Enough! And on to important things. I decided today that I am going to treat this problem like a war. After all, it is a war, they have invaded my territory and I want to claim it back. Sure they've been there long enough that they feel they have rights. They've built their little cities, generations of mites have known no other world than other than my hair, my bed, MY BODY!!! Grrrr!

I have decided to blog my plan of attack because I am hoping that it will work... and if it works, I'm hoping that other people from around the world can follow my attack step by step and maybe even do it themselves and KILL THESE BASTARDS!!!!

So plan is to:

1. Have a plan. I'm not going to do it ad hoc. Not a bit of this and a bit of that. I'm taking my inspiration from Jacob's List. I'm going to try as much as what they did as I can because Jacob and his wife Shannon, actually managed to get rid of them. They only had the problem for 3 months... so I'm going with their method first.

2. I'm going to decide what strategies to undertake. What products to buy and how to implement them. I'm going for the most organic, non-toxic methods if I have a choice between two methods.

3. Buy the products. Stock up on them. This is not so easy... this is the step I'm at now. Many products on Jacob's List are American. So I have to go through the torturous task of working out what the active ingredients are and then finding a similar product in Australia.

4. Plan for my additional ideas. For example, I freeze my bedding but now that I've heard that the eggs can't survive without oxygen, I'm considering buying space bags to suck out all the oxygen - don't know how effective it will be coz there will probably still be enough in there to keep them alive. (I thought about putting all my stuff into large vats of jelly... anyone got ideas for oxygen deprivation? Co2 is another system but it's very dangerous so I won't do that. I'm liking the jelly... it's so crazy it just might work!)

4. Plan a systematic hour by hour or minute by minute methodology. I'll probably even rehearse it. I realised after I implemented a half baked plan one night that because I hadn't thought it through, I was reinfecting myself through carelessness. (ie The plastic bags I bought weren't sealable, so the mites could escape quite easily. My feet had been in the infected bed, so just by walking from room to room I could have been transferring eggs). I need a plan for my environment and a plan for my body. It has also been suggested that you should attack your car and workplace too! So much to do!

5. Make some big decisions. Am I going to do it to my garage as well, so that I don't have infected stuff coming back into the house? Am I going to get rid of (yet another) bed or try to save it? Am I going to attack the attic?

6. I'm going to devote a whole weekend to washing my clothes and cleaning my whole house from top to bottom. Another question: Am I going to rotate my clothes through the freezer? Jacob and Shannon wore every item of clothing only the one time every time. They washed their bedding every single day. Perhaps it was their persistence, rather than purely the method that worked.

I just bought myself a whole lot of products: windex, bird mite and lice spray, oils, witchhazel etc but I realised that because I didn't have a simple strategy, or a consistent one, I couldn't work out what was working and when. I sprayed my bed with windex (very bad I know) put borax and windex in a plastic bag with my bedding in a freezer (yet to see if that's worked) but for some reason I feel as though I'm being bitten MORE than before. I've certainly stirred something up in a bad way. (I've heard that essential oils can attract the critters so now I'm wondering whether my use of tea-tree oil etc. has been counterproductive). I don't really know. So now I want to plan what I'm doing so that I can assess whether it's actually working or not.

Here is a picture of some products I bought ad hoc:


I also bought some bird mite and lice spray but it's toxic and I didn't really think about how I was planning to actually use it. I'm going to research how other people are using the active ingredient of: pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide.

I'll post about the diatomaceous earth and menthol crystals I ordered on the internet today soon!

My long term plan - to buy myself a latex bed after I've not been bitten for 12 months! (They can't live in latex, and boy they're comfortable!

No comments:

Post a Comment