Friday, July 3, 2009

First Entry

This is what I posted on the yahoo group birdmites.org today.

Hi everyone,
I've just joined this forum. I will write my story in more detail eventually (maybe even blog it).

But for now - I just want to give you this tip coz it DRAMATICALLY reduced my problem so much that I even forget I have it sometimes.
(I know that doesn't sound promising).

Basically, I discovered that freezing the mites kills them. (I don't think it kills the eggs but I think it kills the adults and the nymphs.)

Over the years I have thrown out 3 beds, 5 mattresses and heaps of clothing (and moved 3 times). But I didn't have support whatsover (there was not much info on the web about it in those days) so I was coming up with my own strategies in isolation. I'm so happy that I've discovered both this site and birdmites.org coz I think with combined strategies I might be able to kick this thing once and for all.

When I first got the mites, my friend and I tried to work out why they only bit me after I'd been in bed for half an hour. We then guessed that maybe they sensed the heat of my body (I now know it is for that reason and many others). So we decided to put my bedding in the freezer with a bowl of hot water in an attempt to lure the mites out of the bedding and into the warm bowl. I don't know whether that actually worked or not but the side effect was that I noticed I was being bitten less and less every time I put the bedding in the freezer.

It then became a habit of mine to put my bedding in the freezer every morning without the water. (Try explaining that to your guests!)

I know it's tough if you have a big family but I would invest in a good quality deep freezer - I think it's worth it... I bought a second hand one for $150.

I would rip out carpets and systematically put all of my clothing and bedding, cushions (whatever you can) into the freezer.

I think freezing is more effective than washing (though I haven't tried the borax thing. I bought some borax and windex today and I feel powerful! :-)

My strategy now is if I am ever bitten (when not in bed). I immediately remove that piece of clothing and either throw it away or put it in the freezer for a few days.

It really really helps.

I'm pretty sure that I've managed to reduce the mites to just my bedding... I was almost free of them recently (I threw out another bed and the base). I was mite free for days. Then a friend came over and lay on a sheepskin rug I had and then on my bed. Only after he'd been there awhile did I realise that that rug had come from my previous (carpeted) apartment and that there were probably mites in it. I should have thrown it out. Needless to say - they were back.

As for freezing I know two things: 1. Museums freeze books/artifacts etc in an effort to kill any insects that might damage the item. They do for this for up to two weeks at a time. 2. Airports quarantine items that are imported by freezing them (again up to two weeks at a time).

I know that I can't reach the high temperatures I need to to kill the bugs and the eggs... but freezing is a good stop gap.

On a museum site I read ages ago, they talk about snap freezing because with a slow freeze, an insect will have the time to adapt to a reducing temperature. They also say the colder and longer you freeze the better the outcome.

I have been experimenting with freezing my bed linen for two weeks at a time (I have two lots). I won't wash my linen unless I've frozen it first. I'm now thinking I'll reduce it to 3-4 days, because I think I read somewhere that it takes 7 days for the eggs to become adults. So I'm thinking maybe I can kill them before they have time to lay new eggs.

Even though this doesn't destroy the eggs it allows me to get some sleep.

I also think I get three kinds of bites/sensations:
1. Crawling on skin.
2. small bites that sting immediately but don't last long
3. big bites that feel like a needle is going into your body (about 1/2-1 second in length) and leave a big welt. These ones can wake you up.

I still get 1 and 2 but they don't wake me up night. I don't get 2 and 3 at all during the day anymore. Actually, maybe no.2 on occasion. Type 3 I get once every couple of weeks, maybe even less.

I used to get type 3. at least 10-20 times a night and I remember how UNBEARABLE it used to be.

Also, after many doctors/dermatologists/people thinking I was delusional, I found a doctor who took a biopsy of my skin (around 9 years ago). The results showed "consistent with an insect bite" but he couldn't tell me which insect of course... but at least I could prove to my friends that I wasn't delusional.

In case you want to do the biopsy thing. He told me that I couldn't shower after a bite (I think they need the saliva). So I got a friend to draw circles around the old bites (with pen) before I went to bed, when I went to the doctor in the morning he could see which bites didn't have a ring around them so he took a biopsy of one of those.

I really feel for you all... and remember when people don't believe you... they didn't believe bacteria existed in the old days or that mosquitos could carry malaria. Some people are very closed minded and I think it's easier them to believe that you are delusional than to believe that blood sucking insects that you can't see but cause much distress are REAL!!!

I know one day we'l beat this thing. I can imagine people trying one strategy once... and they'll rid themselves of it... we'll get there.

Tania - MiteWar veteran

PS: I live in Melbourne, Australia

2 comments:

  1. Tanya - what happened to this blog, and what happened to you? I wanted to know how you did with the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <<Hello, did you find a way to eradicate them?

    ReplyDelete